Monday, December 12, 2011

It’s All the Same (a Math Puzzle Game)


I wanted a fun way for my son to see how that the same math problem can be written in different ways. And I wanted him to be able check his work independently, similar to the Lock and Key Math game I made.

So I created a series of 12 puzzles for my son to play. 

Each puzzle has three pieces: 1) a multiplication problem, 2) an addition problem, and 3) groupings of dots.
Download 12 puzzles and the game board here.

To keep the pieces from slipping around, I spray glued sheets of felt to the back of the puzzles (printed on cardstock) before cutting them out and used another felt sheet as the game board. It worked perfectly!


I wish you could have heard the “YEESSSSSS” my son shouted after each puzzle was assembled. It was thrilling to see him catch on and enjoy this so much. 

These puzzles would be great for preschoolers and kindergarteners working on numbers. One piece could have the numeral, another with the number spelled out, and the last piece could display the equivalent number of dots. To make these, download the blank puzzles here.

18 comments:

  1. Ooh, this is a really good idea. Kids struggle with ideas like that. I think this would be really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this! I have a 5 year old, and I think he would enjoy this too. Stopping by from Math Monday.

    Brittney
    www.moms-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I'm also going to modify and use a two piece version for Spanish-english review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks yet again! Now I know what my 1st grader will be doing over the holiday break. He LOVES math and puzzles:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So smart! Thanks for sharing at Etcetorize~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just pinned this. Thanks for the idea. When I was teaching first grade we called these Incredible Equations and each morning we used the calendar date as our answer and the class had to use their math muscles (like the Incredible Hulk--boys loved this part!) to come up with as many different problems as they could. Much flexing involved! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can really see how this would help students make connections about multiplication and addition.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is WONDERFUL!! I am pinning it so that when my son is ready for this I will remember to use it1!! Thanks for linking up to TGIF! Merry Christmas,
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok this is BRILLIANT!! Pinning this for future use with my daughter, and for speech therapy (some kids LOVE math and it could be a GREAT motivator!!) You ROCK yet again with another fantastic activity!

    Thanks for sharing at Thrifty Thursday! I hope you and your family has a WONDERFUL holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. great ideas that is helping us with estefano. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! This has helped make it fun & painless.

    Jennifer N.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like these - thank you SO much for sharing them!

    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE This thank you for sharing =)

    http://appleformisskay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That's a fantastic idea. It's a great way to teach and educate kids. This is really a fun and for kids it's an opportunity to enhance skills playing the game. Thank you for sharing such a great post here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing this idea
    Geneviève, primary school teacher in Alsace, France

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing the idea, it's lots of fun

    ReplyDelete